Monday, March 19, 2012

Journal 17

1. What is the significance of the poem’s epigraph?  How does it relate to Prufrock?
The significance of the poem’s epigraph is that is talks about the afterlife.  It relates to Prufrock because he is reflecting on his life and all the experiences he missed out on.  The epigraph is informing the reader that as he tells his lifestory, he is not ashamed because he is no longer on earth.

2. Make a list of questions that Prufrock asks.  Do you see a pattern/theme to these questions or are they random?  
He asks many questions throughout the song that show a theme of uncertainty.
What is it?
Do I dare [disturb the universe]?
How should I presume?
Should I, after tea and cakes, have the strength to force the moment to its crisis?
How should I begin?
Shall I part my hair behind?
Do I dare to eat a peach?

3. What do you think is Prufrock’s main flaw/problem?
Prufrock’s main problem is that he was very ordinary, often seen as unimportant.  His personality is protrayed when he refers to himself not Hamlet but as an adviser to the prince.

4. Why do you think this is called a love song?  In what way is it a love song?
I think this is called a love song because it often mentions women, and missing out on the opportunities he had to love in his lifetime.  I think it is a love way in a lonely, depressing way.

No comments:

Post a Comment