Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Journal 15

1. "Editha," the short story, has an overall message about the evilness of war.
"It isn't this war alone; though this seems peculiarly wanton and needless; but it's every war--so stupid; it makes me sick. Why shouldn't this thing have been settled reasonably?"

"A man that hasn't got his own respect intact wants the respect of all the other people he can corner."

"I felt I must have been helping on the war somehow if I hadn't helped keep it from coming, and I knew I hadn't; when it came, I had no right to stay out of it."
2. Editha makes George believe as she does about the war by using religious tactics.  She often mentions God in her reasoning.  Also, she calls the war a "sacred war."
3. Editha is sad after her fiance's death, but I do not think she ever feels like she did him any wrong by encouraging him to join the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment